Sunday 9 July 2017

Lynda Nabayiinda, and Josh Tahinduka talk BOTEA 17



 The Best of Toastmasters East Africa (BOTEA17), came with much aplomb. Hosted in Kigali, the hosts gave the East Africans a run for their money. They were suave, hospitable and charitable. Lynda Nabayiinda, Immediate Past President of Kampala Toastmasters Club and Josh Tahinduka the CEO of BOTEA 17, share their personal journeys.

Stephano Kiyemba

Christine Nabiryo and Viola Lutara


Paul Kavuma



As usual, when it's time to travel outside my home town, my spirits soar. And the impending trip to Rwanda-Kigali was no different. I looked forward to the road trip with 15 other colleagues. We traveled at night and it proved to be a great decision. we chatted all the way to the Katuna border. Imagine!. Fast forward, the first activity once in Kigali was the panel discussion with 4 experienced toastmasters as the panelists and an amazing audience mainly composed of Rwanda youth who by the end of the 1 hour session were ready to become toastmasters. The cocktail after the panel discussion too was a great opportunity to network and make new friends from the 4 different countries that were represented.
What stood out most for me was the number of contestants. Over 30!. The speeches were all of high quality and showed a lot of preparation. Our 5 speakers from Uganda didn't disappoint; well structured speeches with no pause fillers, the right dose of humor and of course the expected punchy openings and conclusions. our contestants made it to the semi-finals which was commendable. We would have loved to bring the trophy home, but BOTEA 2018 is just a few months away. I can't wait.
Hoping once you read this, you will take the first step and join a toastmasters club near you and become one of the contestants for the next BOTEA.
Lynda Nabayiinda
Immediate Past President 
Kampala Toastmasters Club 

LYNDA N

 
JOSH TAHINDUKA SHARES, BELOW

WHAT WAS IT LIKE AS CEO?
The experience of Hosting BOTEA in Rwanda is not one I will ever forget. We had 34 contestants all aiming for the Best speaker of 2017, probably the stiffest completion BOTEA has ever had. Prior to BOTEA we had a panel discussion that attracted over 150 professionals and Toastmasters in Kigali, the Rwandans managed to share their stories through UMUGANDA with the rest of the brothers and sisters in East Africa, we elected the leadership of the Territorials Council, the list could go on.  

FAVOURITE MOMENTS?
As an organizer, it is rather not easy to experience everything and later on chose the best moments but for me, my best moment was at the start of each day when I saw members streaming in from all over East Africa and Africa. It was exhilarating seeing the people my team prepared a banquet for, attending even beyond our expectations.

BIGGEST CHALLENGES?
Ensuring that we managed Time well. 

YOUR FAVOURITE SPEECH?
I think all speakers I watched were great speakers and each had a unique message for me so I would struggle to single out one. 

LESSONS FOR RWANDA
The biggest lesson for Rwanda is there is much more potential in us than is tapped. Many of us never knew that we would organize East Africa’s biggest public speaking conference to that level of success. We experienced the beauty of teamwork and for this I wish to acknowledge my team for the impeccable piece of work. 

IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY, WOULD YOU HOST AGAIN?
Hosting BOTEA was such an enriching experience for me and hopefully my team. In as much as I am boldly sure that Rwanda as a country would jump on the opportunity to host BOTEA, I would not be the CEO of the event. I would be selfish if I never let another person learn the lessons like I did. I however will be ready to host the Best of Toastmasters Africa!!

LESSONS FOR NEXT YEAR
The biggest lesson for next year is to start planning as early as possible. Please remember that time will possibly fly by so ensure proper allocation of time to each activity. This will prevent you from shocks. Finally, enjoy each part of the journey as a precious learning opportunity but also a priceless chance to serve other people.
 



 


Davis Tashobya, Richard Ssebaggala and Nora Matovu

SEE YOU AT BOTEA 2018

Bukoto Toastmasters Club meets every first Tuesday of the month at Alliance Francaise. We’re soon moving to our new premises.

Twitter:  @BukotoTM1
Tel: +256 751 703226

No comments:

Post a Comment